For those with anxiety, the idea of trying to figure out what caused it often seems too big a task to even try. However, there’s a possible source that many overlook. Chronic stress is an incredibly common reason for anxiety that many people just don’t think of. Especially those in the throes of anxiety, it can seem too-easy of an answer.
So, if you’ve found yourself going from handling life relatively fine to someone that is worried about everything and you don’t know why, chronic stress might be the culprit.
What Are Some Common Stressors?
If it seems like chronic stress might be the cause of your anxiety, then the first thing you have to do is figure out what’s causing that stress. The following is a brief list of common stressors.
Whether you’re stressed because you don’t have one, stressed because you hate yours, or stressed because while you love your work it just never seems to end, work is a huge stress.
- Taking On Too Much
A lot of people find themselves unable to keep up with everything they’ve taken on and just drown in their to-do lists. This feeling of constantly being on the go can easily cause anxiety.
- Neglecting Yourself
No matter what your idea of relaxation is, be it hang-gliding or soaking in a bath, if you’re not allowing yourself time to relax on the regular, you’re not allowing yourself to de-stress.
- The Little Things
It’s easy for life’s little stresses to build up without us noticing and when that happens it’s a recipe for anxiety. Taking a little more time for yourself and trying to just let the little things go can take a huge weight from your shoulders.
Failure is a part of life. Failure shouldn’t petrify people, though. It should be a learning experience. However, sometimes, failure becomes a huge fear and that fear can turn someone into a ball of anxiety.
Anything that is a stressor in your life can cause anxiety, so just because something that stresses you out isn’t on this list, doesn’t mean it’s not a perfectly reasonable cause of anxiety.
What Are Some Ways To Treat My Stress?
Now that you’ve figured out that chronic stress has caused your anxiety and have a pretty good idea on just what stressor has weighed you down, here are some easy ways to help de-stress.
- Exercise – Starting a simple work-out routine can help you feel accomplished, boost your mood, and deal with stress by sweating it out.
- Sleep – If you don’t get enough sleep it becomes much more difficult to deal with the little things in life. If you’re feeling anxious all the time, try making getting enough sleep a priority.
- Diet – This doesn’t mean you need to go on a diet, but if the only thing you’re feeding your body is sugar and caffeine, it can mess with your brain’s ability to handle stress. Try adding some more fruit and vegetables to your diet and see how your mood perks.
- Relax – Taking time for just ourselves can seem impossible in our busy lives, but if you don’t take time for yourself to just relax, you’re going to end up drowning in stress.
- Help – Even if you do all of the above, sometimes it’s still too much. Do not be afraid to ask for help, be it from a friend, family member, or a professional. It’s not a weakness to know when you need a hand and it takes strength to ask for help, so don’t be afraid to do it.
Anxiety is not an easy thing to live with, but if your anxiety is caused by chronic stress, there are ways to alleviate the symptoms. How about you, what’s your favorite natural remedy for anxiety relief?